This is a notable week for Overwatch. The Overwatch League is on a break and Overwatch is getting a free weekend in time for the Lunar New Year. On top of all that, Blizzard is ready to test out some character tweaks.
Overwatch Game Director Jeff Kaplan held another video Developer Update on Wednesday afternoon to address some big changes coming to characters not named Mercy, for once. These changes are coming to Mei, Sombra, and Doomfist, giving each of the three characters some new buffs.
The PTR patch notes have been detailed on the Blizzard App (via r/CompetitiveOverwatch):
- Hand Cannon
- Ammo recovery rate increased from 0.8 seconds to 0.65 seconds per bullet
- Endothermic Blaster
- Freeze (slow) duration increased from 1 second to 1.5 seconds
- Weapon alternate fire ammo cost reduced from 25 to 20
- No longer blocked by small objects (e.g. sign posts)
- No longer gains ultimate charge from health pack healing
- Cast time reduced from 0.8 seconds to 0.65 seconds
- Now disables the following abilities:
- Genji — Cyber-agility
- Hanzo — Wall Climb
- Pharah — Hover Jets
- Lucio — Healing Boost and Speed Boost (turns off current song entirely), Wall Ride
- Mercy — Angelic Descent
- Machine Pistol
- Machine Pistol spread reduced from 3 to 2.7
- Now activates when enemies’ health bars are at less than 100%, up from 50% health
- Duration increased from 15 seconds to 20 seconds
Kaplan is also toying with the idea of tinkering with Hanzo’s horizontal leap, as well as adding a secondary ability that can replace his Scatter Arrow. These changes are not being implemented in the PTR at the moment, but Hanzo changes are being explored.
“Right now, the direction we’re exploring is giving [Hanzo] a completely new ability that gives him a window when he fires off the ability to fire off arrows in rapid succession,” Kaplan said. “Right now, we’re experimenting with five arrows at a very high fire rate. It’s a lot of fun, this one might be worth trying, so we might put it to the PTR.”
For more on the changes to the above Overwatch characters, as well as the ideas being tossed out for Hanzo, check out the video below.